On Friday 9th November, we began the journey up North to race at BUCS Short-Course. With a variable amount of training under our respective belts and an optimistic amount of uni work in our bags, we were off… and here’s what happened:
• We started the competition off with a bang in the form of freestyle relays – representing the women’s team was Rebecca, Celia, Anna and Kate and representing the men’s team was Alvin, Justin, Dan and James – nothing like a good relay to get the team bonding going
• Alvin showed us what he could do by smashing the 50 back club record and qualifying for the B final! Followed by setting, yet another, club record in the 200 back, in a time of 2.14.95 – could this be a new rival for President Louis Seller??
• JJ following suit with another club record in the 50 breast and also making it into a B final! But he wasn’t done there, stepping it up in the final he went on to achieve a national time as a cheeky bonus!!
• Celia showing absolutely zero fear in taking on (and completing) the 400IM
• Emily may not have been at BUCS this year but George heroically took over the role of showing the freshers what happens you don’t train… setting an example for why you should really ‘start swimming more’
• A nail-biting swim off between JJ and a rival from Swansea in the 50fc had the crowd on the edge of their seats and JJ with a new pb of 23.46!
• We finished Saturday off in style with both a Men and Women’s 4x50m medley relay – with the Men’s team taking yet another club record #teamworkmakesthedreamwork
• Starting off bright and early on Sunday morning, Men’s captain Dan Schindler and new kid on the block (no pun intended) Celia Gaier braved the 200m fly and walked away (even if very slowly) as new club record holders!
• You might have thought you’d heard the last of ex-prez JJ but he’s back!! This time with another club record in the 100m breast with a 1.04.39 – not too shabby, eh?
• Leon then qualified for the team’s 3rd final of the weekend in his 50m fly – making a 25.13 look like eaaasy work
• Finally, last but DEFINITELY not least we had Goggy placing 4th in the final heat of the 400m free and earning 5th position overall! Not that anyone was surprised by this – you can always count on Goggy (even if she also swam at Arena League the night before :O)
So overall (I’m sure you’ve lost count by now) we broke a grand total of… *drumroll please* 10 CLUB RECORDS!! A fantastic weekend of swimming with some fantastic people – bring on BUCS LC!
Captain Dan Schindler competing in the 200m fly